Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike

So here I am at 7:21pm waiting for the big storm, Ike, to travel through Houston. According to all of the maps that my dear hubby keeps checking, over and over again, our house will be about 10 miles east of the eye. No, I don't have any windows boarded up. Didn't trim and branches off of any one of the 7 very large trees that we have right around our house. Didn't buy a generator either. Why???? Because all of that stuff cost money, money we don't have. What I do have is the power of prayer and a God that listens.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't done anything to prepare...I have. I have filled all of the milk jugs that I have been saving for over the past year with water. I put all of them that would fit into both of our freezers, and the rest in the fridge. I cooked up a bit pot of beans and sausage, made a huge batch of pasta salad, cooked a large pot of rice, washed of our clothes and cloth diapers, made sure all of the dishes were clean, cleaned the bath tub and dilled it with water, brought out the Coleman lantern, propane stove top, flash lights, hand crank radio, took pictures off all of our assets/inventory both in and out of the house (for insurance purposes), and removed any and all debris from our front and back yard. I'm sure I have done more, but that is all I can think of at the moment.

The sky outside is just now turning a light shade of purple. It's very pretty. The wind has been gusting through the trees since about 6pm. Everything seems calm. It's hard to believe that there's a huge storm headed right toward us. It's actually one of the prettiest nights I've seen in a while.

I have chatted with all of my neighbors around me. The oldest couple that lives across the street, and has been here for 30 years, left this morning. Him and his wife are planning on staying in a local hotel. The single lady that lives next door to us, and has lived here for the past 25 years, is staying put. She didn't board up any windows. Our neighbors on the other side of us are staying put too. They do have a generator, but no windows boarded up. The consensus seems to be, no windows boarded up. Makes me feel a bit more level headed.

As I type the sky is becoming such a prettier shade of pastel purple. The whole outside seems to be turning to that same color. I can hear the tv. in the living room. The reporters are going on and on about the path of the storm, the winds, the surge, and all of the possible damage that could occur to our area. I have been hearing this all week. I so needed to blog.

Ah...here comes a blast of wind. Sounds scarier than it actually is for the moment. Almost makes me want to curl up and go to sleep.

Well...I think I have typed enough for now. I'm gonna go see what the rest of the family is up to. No doubt, they are all glued to the reporters on the tube :o)

No comments: